In the world of dating one little overture can turn a good date bad. I have had my fair share of dates to know when one is headed for disaster—as in a bad car accident you can’t help but to watch. We can all concur the sinking feeling when we say or do something that is a one track road to “I’m never calling him/her again.” Here are a few first date mistakes to avoid –so you can have the second date anxiety.
1. Never….ever talk about an ex. One of the worst things a person can do on a first date is bash an ex—We don’t want to hear that your ex was an a$$ or the best lover you ever had. Keep it to yourself—unless you want to become jump-off status.
2. Never let them see you sweat. Sometimes you have to go with the flow. Have fun on your date–don’t expect the sun, moon and stars. It’s good to set standards but don’t be too rigid in your plans—everyone wants someone who is flexible…
3. Don’t do the college drunken dance. Monitor your liquor and don’t keep tossing back the vodka and cranberry—it’s simply unattractive in a man/woman and, honestly, who wants to kiss someone goodnight with liquor breath.
4. Dress appropriately. Sometimes too much is just that! You aren’t shaking what your momma gave you at the club—I hope. Ladies, stay away from the high heels and mini skirts. Fellas, no baggy 21 year old jeans, or hoodies/ white tees—think Jay-Z or Usher.
5. Please leave your cheapness at home. Guys, as the man you are suppose to pay, even if she is adamant about picking up the tab (yeah right). A woman hates a stingy man…that doesn’t mean lobster dinner and champagne but show her that you want to woo her for the night.
6. Desperation is tacky in a man or a woman. A guy once told me how good I looked at least 30 times during our date—I got the idea after the third time—the additional compliments started to sound insincere. Also, you may find your date attractive but that doesn’t mean you should paw them all night. Remember, it’s the first date and unless the feelings are mutual then chill out until the second or third date.
7. Don’t order an “I’m fat” meal. Men enjoy watching a woman eat. As females we are quite aware of our flaws but can a mixed green salad really fill you all night.
8. Don’t psychoanalyze your date. Trust me as someone who analyzes everything—leave the Electra and Oedipus breakdown at home. This is not the time to get personal and intrude on someone’s emotional space.
After all is said and done, the best thing to do is just be yourself. We all have that representative but let your date see some of what others love about you. Relax and enjoy the company—you never know what might happen.
Have you ever had a tragic dating mistake? How did you handle it?