Summers just aren’t the same now that I’m a mother. As much I look forward to warmer weather and more family time, I dread the responsibility that comes with being The Planner. Things can get even more stressful when it comes to vacations. You know how it is – finding the ideal destination, sticking to the budget, shopping for the trip and lastly, making sure your wardrobe is cute enough for family photos.
If your vacation planning always seem to playout in that order, this blog post is going to make packing for your next getaway so much easier. The first thing you need to do is avoid shopping for too many items that probably won’t make it out of your luggage. Next, make a list of all the essential pieces you’ll need, browse the latest trends and take advantage of sales or similar looks for less (remember, stick to the budget).
I found some must-have pieces that are both stylish and effortless, especially if you have small kids like me. Here’s a rundown of what every fashion savvy mommy needs to vacation in style this summer:
1. The Message T-Shirt or Tank. Whether it’s inspiring, funny, or sexy, you’ll find a message tank or t-shirt to match your personality. This cute message tank (pictured above) from Mango.com is $29.99 and perfect with shorts or skirts.
2. The Maxi Dress. Although it might seem like the last thing on your list for some fun in the sun, a maxi dress is exactly what you need for an after-beach dinner with the kids. Plus, this Mara Hoffman rainbow striped dress ($215) is made from a lightweight cotton blend and just screams ‘easy breezy’.
3. The Water-Proof Slides. It’s a no brainer that sandals should be on your list, but a pair of slides will make you the most fashionable of all the mommies. If you’re staying on a beach resort, these Zara studded slides are polyurethane and thermoplastic so it’s durable enough for water or sand! Get them online for $29.99.
4. The Tote. The thought of lugging around a big ole bag to a theme park or on a resort sounds like such a hassle. However, you’ll realize just how convenient it is for an extra shirt, wipes, underwear or diapers for your little ones. Keep in mind that most amusement parks and large pool areas have lockers so you can safely store it when you need to be hands-free. At $250, this Moschino heart perforated tote is a great designer buy but if it’s not in your budget, opt for a low-priced version from Nasty Gal or Steve Madden.
5. The High Waist Bikini. If the word bikini has your nerves on edge, fret not. After two pregnancies and having my belly stretched to unimaginable proportions, a two piece was a long term goal and a few laser sessions. However, this high waist trend is a mommy’s dream come true! Flattering for almost every shape and size, this anchor navy suit from ModCloth.com is less than $100.
6. The Round Sunnies. This season’s sunglasses are truly a blast from the past. Designers like Tom Ford and Mui Mui revived the retro round shades, but you don’t need to spend $300 or more to get this look. The 60s round sunnies from Top Shop are just as fabulous and only $30. Now, if round is not a great fit for your face, you can also go with a pair of cat eye sunglasses.
7. The Jewelry Roll. The worst thing that can happen is to arrive at your hotel and notice that you forgot all your accessories or they’ve been damaged in your luggage. Believe me I know. So, you might want to spend some extra bucks on a jewelry roll, instead of trying to fit your jewelry in a regular pouch or side pocket. The jewelry roll from Bed Bath & Beyond is from Blue Avocado by Lauren Conrad. It retails for $24.99 but if you have time to shop around, you can probably snatch one for less at Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
8. The Wide Brim Fedora. Finally, what’s a vacation ensemble without a signature piece?! This wide brim straw fedora from the San Diego Hat Company is not just for sun protection. The modern and sleek design can accessorize everything from your poolside outfit to that little dress you’ll wear at some low-key outdoor restaurant.
What’s in your travel wardrobe this summer? Leave a comment and let me know if you’re thinking of similar pieces or found any good deals. Happy Travels!