I am on the fence when it comes to having kids—I have heard many women and men exclaim it’s selfish not to want children. In my opinion it’s selfish and irresponsible to have kids just to conform to society’s obsession with babies. I can blame it on my commitment phobia or just my apprehension to be responsible for another life. Parenting is overwhelming and yes I hear many people say the rewards are worth it, but did you know in a recent survey taken by Dr. Phil of 20,000 women, a third of them stated “if they knew then what they know now, they probably would not have started a family.
For me, I am split 70-30 in favor of not having children. With the exception of my emotional biological cycle every month, I don’t have this deep urge to procreate like many of my fellow species. I don’t think that makes me selfish or odd. I am perfectly fine being called “auntie” and “godmother” and having a successful, fulfilling marriage without the child component. On too many occasions I have been advised from others that “when you fall in love, you will want to have a child”– but what if I don’t? I can’t attest to how I may feel in the future but for all the non-children women out there—so in good-natured fun (sort-of) here are my five top reasons for not having a few rug rats running around:
1. People say your sex life decreases after kids, with no kids you can have sex anywhere, any time without interruption.
2. You can be adventurous and go anywhere at the drop of a hat without worrying about a babysitter.
3. You can be 100% self-absorbed without feeling guilty.
4. No diapers to change, homework to do, daycare to find or the “working mother syndrome.”
5. You can splurge on extravagance without worrying about what the little one needs.
Do you have any more top reasons? If you don’t have kids is it out of circumstance or choice? How many wish they would have waited or not start a family at all? Who totally disagrees and why?