There are French waxing, American waxing and then the most popular and to some most painful Brazilian wax. A fan of this “green with no hair in between” wax job—Brazilians is the most common of bikini waxes, and involves the complete removal of all hair in the pelvic area, front and back, buttocks and adjacent to the anus, perineum and vulva. Great if you love to sport a thong, or if you or your partner just love the clean look and easy access.
But along with the wonderful “benefits” that make you walk and tingle, there is much criticism that accompanies the Brazilian. So here are a few tips to make your experience a little less painful.
1. Make sure the spa location you chose is clean and friendly. Considering your lower regions are sensitive, you need to feel as comfortable as possible.
2. Plan to wax after your period. Your pain threshold is higher the week after your period than before.
3. Exfoliate. The day before you decide to wax, exfoliate in the shower. This will remove dead skin, allowing the wax to grip shorter hairs.
4. Breathe. It can be tempting to hold your breath, but breathing in and out helps reduce the pain. Take a deep breath in when the wax goes on, and then breathe out when your esthetician gives it a yank.
5. Speak with the esthetician and ask for a numbing spray or ointment before you start to wax.
6. Do not wax over open sores, new scars, varicose veins, raised moles, or mucous membranes. Also do not attempt on skin affected by warts, pimples, moles, rashes or sunburn skin.
7. Be sure to moisturize your skin well before a wax for healthy, soft skin afterwards, since dry skin can end up feeling itchy and irritated after an intensive wax.
8. Expect discomfort–a Brazilian wax is intense. The first time is definitely the hardest, because much of the hair has never been pulled out before. Remember the pain is temporary.
9. Use Baby Powder to Soothe Skin and irritated bikini lines. Use some after your wax, and put some on before bed to help ease irritation from sweat and friction.
Good luck and happy waxing!